Odor of Smoke in a Residence
 
By Firefighter Dylan Baker
May 14, 2017
 

Gamber & Community Fire Company along with Reese Fire Co. were alerted for an odor of smoke in a residence at 7:08 pm on May 5th. Medic 139 was first arriving and reported nothing evident. Engine 134 arrived shortly after. The homeowner stated that a power strip was sparking behind the television in the living room. With no other hazard present Chief 13 (Green) held the Gamber units on scene placing the rest in service.

Engine 134's crew took a thermal imager and metered the house to look for any heat signature. Engine 134's crew stated nothing unusual was found. While the engine crew was metering the basement, a light was noticeably brighter than the other and then blew due to a power surge. Chief 13 requested BGE electric side to respond. BGE tested the meter to find an underground line was not operating correctly causing various power outputs to enter the house. With no other hazards found units cleared.

 
Units: Engine 134, Engine-Tanker 133, Medic 134
 
Mutual Aid: Engine 91, Rescue Squad 9, Chief 9, BGE
 
Two (2) faulty power strips removed from the house.
Two (2) faulty power strips removed from the house.
Engine 134 on the scene.
Engine 134 on the scene.