Building Fire in Gamber
 
By Public Information Officer Clay Myers
March 22, 2018
 

Gamber & Community Fire Co. and neighboring fire companies were alerted for an odor of smoke in the building at approximately 3:25 pm on Thursday, March 22 in the 3900 block of Sykesville Road (Rt. 32) in Gamber. The call was then upgraded to a chimney fire as units prepared to respond. First arriving units from Gamber & Community Fire Co. then upgraded it again to a building fire.

The fire was located inside a one-story wood frame garage/workshop where it originated in a wood stove that had a metal flue extending to a brick chimney. Some fire extended into the wall and ceiling of the structure around the chimney before firefighters were able to control the flames and start extinguishment. Crews from Gamber, Reese, and Sykesville worked to extinguish the flames and clean out the wood stove. Exterior crews checked to see that fire did not extend beyond where it started around the chimney and at the roof level.

The top part of the chimney was removed, and the flue was dismantled and removed from the interior. Firefighters also inspected under the metal roof to be sure no additional fire remained. The fire was declared out shortly after and units returned to service.

Maryland State Police assisted with traffic control on Rt. 32.

 
Units: Engine 134, Engine/Tanker 133, Paramedic 139, Duty 13
 
Mutual Aid: Sykesville, Reese, Maryland State Police
 
No Caption
No Caption
 
No Caption
No Caption
 
No Caption
No Caption
 
No Caption
No Caption
 
No Caption
No Caption
 
No Caption
No Caption